I am beyond fired up about this. Get ready, because this is going to be a book; I have so many feelings on this subject and a ton of information. What brought on this blog is what I’ve learned about Barack Obama and the “Born Alive Infant Protection Act.” Ok, I am going to tell you exactly what it is and what happened but if you’d like to hear it straight from the horse’s mouth, go to this link to watch the video:
The “Born Alive Infant Protection Act” is a bill that protects babies that were born alive from a botched abortion. This is not partial birth abortion. This is called induced labor abortion. For this procedure, the physician inserts a medication into the mom’s birth canal that dilates the cervix and the intent is for the baby to be delivered prematurely. They’re fully formed but they’re very small. So when the cervix opens, basically, the baby falls out of the uterus, and it’s anticipated that the baby will die during the birth process. But sometimes these babies live for a time. Jill Stanek was a nurse that worked at Christ Hospital. She testified, under oath, to the Senate what she witnessed at that hospital. She said that 10% to 20% of babies survived this type of abortion at that hospital. The hospital even confessed that fact to the “Chicago Sun-Times” in 2001. She gave an example of one of these abortions where the baby lived. The mother and father did not want their baby because he had down-syndrome (and don’t even get me started there. I’ll discuss that later on). Here is what she said:
“One night a nursing coworker was taking a little baby boy who had been aborted alive, between 21 and 22 weeks because he had down-syndrome, to our soiled utility room for him to die there because his parents didn’t want to hold him and she didn’t have time to hold him that night. When she told me what she was doing, I couldn’t bear the thought of this suffering child dying alone. So I cradled and rocked him for the 45 minutes that he lived.”
Here is a picture of a 21 week old baby holding a surgeon’s hand.
Can you believe that this hospital was going to let a baby suffer and die alone in a dirty utility room?! The thing is, with the majority of these born alive abortions, the babies would have lived if they had been put on life support and attended to medically. This bill would have given rights to these alive babies. They would have been given medical attention. If they lived, the parents could have given them up for adoption. So again, if it was a botched abortion and the baby didn’t die, as “planned,” that baby would then have been entitled to, as a person, get medical care. Barack Obama was the only senator to speak out against this bill in the Senate. He voted against this bill. He said that this would negate the intentions of the mother to abort and was an invasion of a woman’s privacy. Are you kidding me? As they discuss in the video link that I posted earlier, Obama is lying about these facts and his vote. Also, Barak said that his daughters were only 6 and 9 but that he would bring them up with good morals. But that if in the future they made a mistake, he would not PUNISH them with a baby. PUNISH! That was the word that he used!
Ok, now I’m going to leave the Obama portion of my rant and move on to my feelings on abortion, ANY type of abortion. I believe that at the moment of conception, there is a LIVING baby there. 1.6 million babies are aborted in the United States every year. Out of those 1.6 million, 1.5 million of these abortions are classified as an unwanted pregnancies (Sources: Planned Parenthood, National Center for Health Statistics). I have SO many problems that I’m just going to list them.
1. It’s the mother’s right to choose. Ok, wasn’t there a dad involved in the pregnancy? Doesn’t he have any say so or rights when it comes to a child that is half his? Besides that, just because you are the mother, that doesn’t mean that you always choose what is right for your child. Look at the lady who pushed her car into a lake with her children in the back seat or the mother who drowned her children in the bath tub. Does a layer of skin really change the rights of their children or override the responsibilities of that mother?
2. Rape Victims. Rape must be one of the worst experiences that I could ever imagine. I know that this one will be a terribly touchy subject, but I’m just going to tell you how I feel. Doctors have said that an extremely rare number of rape victims get pregnant during the rape because their bodies are in too much stress to conceive. Ok, here are the facts: 2% of all pregnancies in America are caused by incest, rape, and life of the mother. So for these 2%, we allow the other 98% of babies to be killed. You cannot build policies on exceptions. A study in Minnesota and Pennsylvania of 5,000 rape cases resulted in not one pregnancy. But there are a small number of victims who do get pregnant from the terrible act. But the thing is, the child should not be punished because of what that horrible man did. I know that the victims didn’t want or expect the pregnancy but there is now an innocent life inside of her. I think that the government should pass a law that states that all of the medical bills for a pregnant rape victim will be covered and the victim can, if she chooses, allow the child to be adopted. Again, I can’t even begin to imagine how horrible and unfair that whole ordeal would be. But God can bring good from the most awful of situations. That child who had no fault in the rape and who was allowed to live and be adopted could grow up and discover the cure for cancer.
3. This brings me to my next point. The massive number of babies that have been allowed to be killed could have helped our world in ways that we can’t even begin to imagine. One of those babies could have grown up to discover the cure for AIDS, one could have been the best president we’ve ever had, and on and on.
4. There is going to be something wrong physically or mentally with the child. Ok, this one really burns me up! We can’t try to create a utopia of people where everyone is “perfect.” This is something that Hitler tried to do. During his rule, Hitler had “hospitals” formed where any child that was born with a physical or mental problem would be sent to receive “care.” What happened is that these children weren’t fed, weren’t cared for, and soon died. He also had adults with mental and physical problems sent to institutions. Where, again, they weren’t fed or cared for and most died. Hitler saw them as having no worth and that they could never contribute to their world. The fact is that God gives parents these special, wonderful children for them to look after and protect, not kill. My uncle has cerebral palsy and it makes me BEYOND furious that anyone would say that it would have been better for him or his parents if he’d been aborted! He has four children who love him dearly. He is intelligent and a fantastic Christian. His parents, my grandparents, wanted him. That’s the thing, people are just selfish and if a child appears that they may take too much attention or time or just not be what they wanted, they get rid of them. I know a lot of people who aren’t physically or mentally “perfect” who have contributed a lot more to our world than some people who have nothing obviously altered with their appearance or mind.
5. People who aren’t ready to have a baby. Ok, if you aren’t ready emotionally or financially to have a baby, that is no reason to kill the child. There is adoption. I know a family here in my town that paid all of a woman’s medical bills and adopted her child. The woman didn’t want the child but made the right decision not to have an abortion because there are TONS of people who want children, who want to be parents but are unable to conceive.
6. Another thought that I just had is this: You never hear anyone tell a grieving husband and wife that just had a miscarriage that they shouldn’t be so upset because their child wasn’t really a baby yet; it was just a “fetus.” No one would ever say that because they know just as much as that grieving parent that it WAS a baby, a person, a life; it was their child. Praise God that all babies who suffered miscarriages or abortions belong to God. They are all in heaven!
The lady in Roe v. Wade, Norma McCorvey (“Jane Roe”), claimed during the Supreme Court trial that her pregnancy was a result of rape. She now admits that she made that up. Did you know that she ended up never getting her abortion? And she has been quoted saying that she thanks God that she didn’t kill her child. She had the little girl and gave her up for adoption. In 1995, Norma gave her life to God and was baptized. She literally moved next door from the abortion clinic at which she was working to the national offices of the prominent pro-life organization, Operation Rescue. Norma is now dedicated to reversing what she was a part of some three decades ago. She has now started the “Roe No More Ministry.”
Let me just say that I in NO way think that a woman who has had an abortion is a monster. I do think that she was wrong and made a mistake to kill her baby because life is so precious. It is a gift from God. Psalm 139